J&K Care Specialists

a new approach to care


Contact us

01256 300099

Funding your care

Funding your own care

Most of our customers fund their care privately or via direct payments.  Anybody funding their care should first research the benefits that are available to them. 
Other financing options you may want to consider include equity release or the purchase of an Immediate Care Annuity .We also get asked many questions around Power of Attorney(everlasting) and other asset related matters.
Please contact us for more information on our private charge rates.

Who qualifies for NHS Care Funding?

We understand that care funding can be a bewildering issue and process, with many people unsure about the funds they’re entitled to and how they can access or use these.
Firstly, in order to distinguish what specific type of funding – healthcare funding or social care funding – you may be entitled to, it is important to make the distinction between the two types of care.

Definitions of social care and healthcare are somewhat ambiguous, and it is therefore important to explore all options and seek advice from medical or legal professionals to make this distinction where uncertainty prevails.  However, the below definitions provided by the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care should help to get you started:

Healthcare needs “Whilst there is not a legal definition of a healthcare need (in the context of NHS continuing healthcare), in general terms it can be said that such a need is one related to the treatment, control or prevention of a disease, illness, injury or disability, and the care or after care of a person with these needs (whether or not the tasks involved have to be carried out by a health professional).”

Social care needs “In general terms (not a legal definition) it can be said that a social care need is one that is focused on providing assistance with activities of daily living, maintaining independence, social interaction, enabling the individual to play a fuller part in society, protecting them in vulnerable situations, helping them to manage complex relationships and (in some circumstances) accessing a care home or other supported accommodation.”

Assessing what contribution you’ll need to make to funding your care

The Local Authority will review your ability to pay for care based on the assessment of your income. So it is really important that before the financial assessment is carried out, you are claiming all of the benefits that you may be entitled to. If you fail to do this, your means test will assume you are already in receipt of these benefits and could potentially lose out.

The value of your home is not included

If you are receiving or will be receiving care in your own home, the value of your home is not counted within the means test for care funding.

Joint savings

In calculating your financial situation on any assets jointly held, only the proportion you are deemed to own is taken into account. For example, for a couple which has £30,000 in savings in a joint bank account would be seen as having £15,000 in assets.
Applying for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding

If you or the person you are organising care for has an ongoing health condition that requires long-term complex care or end of life support, then you may be able to apply for Continuing Healthcare funding.

NHS Continuing Healthcare describes a package of care that is fully funded by the NHS.

Continuing Healthcare funding, sometimes called CHC, is granted to people who have ongoing complex healthcare needs and are not staying in hospital. These funds can be granted to people who require a package of care to meet their complex care needs at home on a permanent basis, or to people who require complex palliative care at home for an unspecified but typically short period of time.

Continuing Healthcare criteria and assessment

In order to qualify, the primary need for receiving care must relate directly to health. The NHS describes this as a ‘primary health need.’

To find out if you qualify for Continuing Healthcare, individual needs must be assessed. You can ask for an assessment by contacting your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) directly or getting in touch with your GP. The CCG groups are responsible for the provision of NHS services in England and hold the budget for Continuing Healthcare funding. Individual needs will be assessed by a local Continuing Care Team on behalf of the CCG group.

Following a screening process, a full Continuing Healthcare assessment will be carried out by a multidisciplinary team to determine whether a person is eligible for funding. The agreed recommendation is then presented to the local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) for approval.

Once approved, the Continuing Healthcare team at the CCG can arrange a package of care with individual wishes in mind. Alternatively, a fast-track Continuing Healthcare assessment and packages can be implemented where an individual’s condition is deteriorating rapidly and they need end of life care at home.

We regularly work with Continuing Healthcare Teams and families who present both long-term complex care and palliative cases. Our capability to form strong partnerships and respond with speed and professionalism gives confidence to our customers and the teams managing their cases.
Hampshire County Council funded care

The Local Authority will review your ability to pay for care based on the assessment of your income, as they do with Continuing Healthcare. Therefore, it is really important that before the financial assessment is carried out, you are claiming all of the benefits that you may be entitled to. If you fail to do this, your means test will assume you are already in receipt of these benefits and could potentially lose out.

Your local authority will carry out a detailed assessment to work out whether or not you are eligible for any funded hours and also assess your needs. Once this has been established, they will arrange for a supplier to carry out the support/care needed. The supplier (e.g. J&K)will then invoice Hampshire County Council for the care provided to you. The hours will be arranged to best suit your needs.

Direct Payments

The other option is be in receipt of Direct Payments. This means that your local authority will carry out an assessment in the same way as detailed above, but will pay you for the funded hours directly. You will then be given a list of suppliers and asked to contact the supplier of your choice to arrange the support/care needed. The supplier will then invoice you directly and you will be in charge of your hours and the money provided to you by Hampshire County Council. Your local authority(Hampshire County Council) will arrange a regular review to make sure that you are happy with the arrangements and also make sure that the money is used for the hours needed.

The Take a Break Service

The ‘Take a Break’ service helps Carers think and plan how to take a break from their caring role and re-charge their batteries. This is a free service funded by your local authority. This can be achieved by providing breaks that are designed by the Carer to support them in achieving a fulfilling life outside of their caring role. It could be attending a course, joining a gym, going to the theatre, or simply having some time to themselves. This maybe your partner, husband, wife, or your mum or dad, son or daughter, etc. It gives you the opportunity to have some time to yourself once a week to persue your own interests without worrying about the person that you usually care for on a daily basis.

The Support worker will come to your home and sit with the service user. This could be to just keep them company and have a chat, or to undertake an activity such as playing a board game,cards or any other activity suggested, dependant on the service users needs. The number of hours provided is assessed by your local authority and given in accordance to the outcome of this. This could be anything from 3 to 6 hours per week.

Some of the benefits of using the Take a Break service are:

 - Improved health and well being

 - Increased capacity to manage caring responsibilities

 - Respected as an Expert care partner

 - Stay mentally and physically well 

The Community Buddy Scheme 

Community buddies is a new service provided through the short breaks programme. It is designed to enable children and young people from 7 to 19 years old with a disability and/or additional needs to access activities in the community.This could be activities such as bowling, cinema, JJ's, swimming, etc.

What do community buddies do? 

Community buddies accompany a young person to their chosen activity, giving them time away from home.  They help the young person to do things they want to do - it is up to the young person and their parents to decide how to use their community buddy time.  They provide support in all areas of the community, such as going shopping, bowling or going to the cinema. 

Who can use a community buddy? 

The community buddy scheme is open to children and young people from 7 to 19 years old who: 
 - have a disability and/or additional needs and may require support to participate fully in leisure and recreation activities 
 - live in Hampshire and/or attends a school in Hampshire (excluding Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight as they have similar schemes).

How much does it cost for a community buddy?

There is a standard change of £5 per hour for a community buddy (plus the cost of the activity and travel).  The rest is funded by Parent Voice.

When can I use a community buddy?

You can use a community buddy after school, at weekends, in the school holidays, for a few hours, or a whole day - the choice is yours!

What is the Gateway Card?

The Gateway Card is free and will give you access to activities, play schemes and buddy schemes available through our short breaks programme.

Image Description
This page covers:
  • Funding your own care
  • Who qualifies for care funding?
  • Assessing what contribution you'll need to make to funding your care
  • Applying for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding
  • Continuing Healthcare criteria and assessment
  • Hampshire County Council funded care, including children and adults
  • Direct Payments
  • The 'Take a break' service
  • The Community Buddy Scheme
  • Registering for a gateway card
Loading... Please wait